The Postnatal/Postpartum Doula
In the weeks following the birth, postnatal/postpartum doulas assist with family adjustment, newborn care and feeding, birth counselling and the promotion of parent-infant bonding. They are experienced in supporting families through the postnatal period.
Postnatal or postpartum doulas offer a range of services that may include:
There is a great deal of evidence suggesting that quality support eases the transition that comes with the addition of a baby to the family. By attending to the needs of the entire family, and offering quality referral information and birth counselling, a postnatal accredited doula enhances the postpartum experience.
- Providing physical, emotional, and informational support regarding the postnatal period
- Birth counselling
- Assisting with breastfeeding or formula feeding
- Assisting with baby and sibling care
- Performing light household tasks such as laundry, dishes and vacuuming
- Running errands
- Escorting mum on her first trips out with her new baby
- Helping to recognise symptoms of Baby Blues and other postnatal mood disorders and refer mum to the proper resources for help
- Communicating with family and friends for parents (sending pictures via email, updates, etc.)
- Helping with birth announcement and 'thank you' cards.